King Cake with Mam Papaul's King Cake Mix
It's Carnival time and we are shipping, eating, and making King Cakes galore! We wanted to make our own King Cake using Mam Paupals King Cake Mix and of course, add a twist of our own!
What you will need:
- Mam Papaul's King Cake Mix
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Cup of Hot Water
- 10 Tbs of Butter
- Mixer (optional)
Optional Items for topping or filling:
- Pepper Jelly
- Praline Mix
- Spiced Rum Pecans
- Cajun Power Fruit Treat (Blueberry, Blackberry, or Strawberry)
- Cream Cheese
What comes in the King Cake Mix?
- One large ziplock bag (for kneading the dough)
- Cake Mix
- Purple, Green, & Gold Sugar Sprinkles
- Icing Mix
- Brown Sugar Praline Filling
Instructions for King Cake Dough:
Note: If you have a heavy duty mixer, complete steps 1-3 with the mixer to save time. If kneading the dough in the provided zip lock back it will take approximately 15 minutes. It will take approximately 3 minutes using a heavy duty mixer and bread hook.
Place the Cake Mix & Yeast in the ziplock bag and mix well.
Next, add one cup of hot water, egg, and 8 Tbs. of softened butter to the ziplock bag.
Press out the air and reseal the bag. Knead the ingredients in the bag by squeezing and pulling the dough for approximately 15 minutes.
Once the dough has been kneaded sufficiently, place the dough in a bowl and set aside in a warm place for 30-40 minutes to let the dough rise. (If your oven has a proofing mode, place the dough in an oven proof bowl and let rise in the proofing oven). The Dough should double in size.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and, using a rolling pin, roll out into a rectangle, approximately 5" x 30" in size.
- Thoroughly mix 2 Tbs. of melted butter with the brown sugar praline mix in a bowl.
- Mix 8 oz. of cream cheese with 8 oz. of Cajun Power Fruit Treat.
- Or Mix the brown sugar praline mix (included in kit) with 8oz of Bulldog Strawberry Pepper Jelly for a king cake with a bite!
- You could also crush Caneland Spiced Rum Pecans and add to the praline mixture.
- Place the dough on a large cookie sheet and shape into an oval.
- Place in a warm place and let the dough rise for an additional 30–45 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Pre-heat oven to 375°
- Once the oven is heated to 375° and the king cake oval has risen sufficiently, place in the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the king cake from the oven when it is lightly browned. Set aside cake and let it cool.
- Mix 1 Tbs. of water with the white glaze mix, included in the kit, and mix well.
- Spread the glaze on top of the cooled cake and decorate with the purple, green, and gold sugar crystals, alternating colors.
Purple stands for Justice, Green stands for Faith, and Gold stands for Power
Decorate your king cake in different sugar crystals, as we did in our Saints Cake, and use Gold and Black sugar crystals!
Skip the glaze and cover in chocolate and caramel and top with pecans for a turtle king cake!
Make a praline topping using the Mam Papauls Praline Mixture, follow the instructions for the mix and pour mixture on top of king cake before the mixture cools.
And don't forget the baby!