Here in Cajun Country, we eat rice with everything.... and I mean everything.
September is National Rice Month and we wanted to highlight two ingredients from our September box in a healthy recipe that is different from dirty rice, jambalaya, etc.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1tbs garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
You can cook this in a Dutch oven or if you have a rice cooker, just throw everything in the rice cooker. (We are huge fans of rice cookers by the way!)
Directions (Dutch oven)
1. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook down, stirring frequently, about 2-3 minutes.
2. Stir in mushrooms, Tabasco Worcestershire
and thyme, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender and browned (5-6 minutes). Season with cajun seasoning, to taste. (We used Carmalete's
3. Stir in popcorn rice and broth. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat and simmer until rice is cooked through, about 40-45 minutes.
4. Stir in butter and chives. Stir until butter is melted.
5. Serve and enjoy as meal or as side!
2. Stir in butter and chives. Stir until butter is melted.
3. Serve and enjoy!