- 1 1/2 cup Pasta Sauce
- 2 water
- 1/2 cup sea salt
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 1/4 pounds, peeled and sliced lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (3 ounces) grated imported Reggiano Parmesan cheese
- 6 oz. 6 (1/8 inch thick) provolone cheese slices, about 6 ounces
- 10-12 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin julienne slices
- Bring Sal & Judy's Original Pasta Sauce to a full boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Lower heat to a simmer and cover pan; cook for 20 minutes.
- Combine water and salt in a large mixing bowl, stirring to dissolve salt. Soak eggplant slices in the brine for 10 minutes. Remove eggplant and pat dry using absorbent paper towels; set aside. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy 12-inch skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, fry eggplant slices in batches, turning once, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and drain on a wire rack covered with absorbent paper towels. Line the bottom of a 9" x 13" x 2" baking pan with a layer of the drained eggplant.
- Lightly salt and pepper the slices. Scatter 1/3 of the grated Parmesan cheese on top. Add a second layer of eggplant slices and scatter half of the remaining Parmesan cheese over the eggplant; salt and pepper the slices.
- Top with sliced provolone cheese and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and pour the hot Original Pasta Sauce over the top. Scatter remaining Parmesan.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.