April 23, 2019
Heart Smart Chili Recipe
- 1 Jar One Bottle Sal and Judy’s Heart Smart Hearty Sauce
- 2 lbs. ground turkey 85/15
- 1 can unseasoned red kidney beans
- 1 fresh medium sweet onion
- 1 fresh green bell pepper
- 1 fresh red bell pepper
- 1 fresh stalk celery
- 2 fresh Jalapeños (if concerned about the heat level one will work)
- 5 fresh medium to large cloves of garlic
- 3 oz. sherry wine (this can be substituted with red wine)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about ½ lemon remove all pulp and seeds)
- 1/2 tsp. ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
- Wash and clean red, green bell peppers and Jalapeños. Remove stems seeds and all white membrane from peppers and jalapeños. Cut all peppers into quarter inch pieces.
- Peel onion and cut into quarter inch pieces. Wash celery and cut into quarter inch pieces. Peel and dice garlic. • Strain excess liquid from kidney beans and set aside for later use.
- Cook 2 pounds ground turkey in 10" pan on medium to high heat for 12-14 minutes or until fully cooked. Place ground turkey in strainer and allow excess oil to drain for about 5 to 10 minutes and set aside for later use.
- Add olive oil approximately 2 tablespoons to heavy gauge 5 to 6 quart pot and make sure the bottom is fully coated . Add onions, celery, red, green bell peppers, and the Jalapeño peppers.
- Sautee on medium heat for 15 minutes and stir frequently. After sautéing for 15 minutes add the fresh garlic. Sautee for 5 more minutes then add two ounces of sherry and stir for one minute.
- Add one bottle of Hearty Heart Smart Sauce and stir. Add chili powder, the crushed red pepper, black pepper, and cumin. Remember that the black pepper and crushed red pepper are optional.
- Increase heat to medium high then add turkey meat, beans, lemon juice (from fresh lemon remove seeds and pulp), and one more ounce of sherry. Bring it back to a simmer for 1 to 2 minutes then turn off heat. Stir and serve.
Leave a comment